Wildlife in the garden

What wildlife have you spotted in your garden so far this season? In mine, the California Quail have decided to come back. So far I have counted 1-9 visiting just about every day at different times. Last season the most I counted was 25+ in the fall.

6 Likes

I disturbed a hibernating hedgehog when I was ripping up some bushes so felt obliged to build it a house. Pleased to say it’s hanging around and with any luck will eat some pests.

8 Likes

Love the 'hog. Wish I could tempt a couple in. For some reason, bird life around us is a bit scarce. We’ve a pair of wood pigeons that have taken up residence, a blackbird nesting in a guttering hopper, a fair few robins, some sparrows but no sign of finches or tits. Crows and magpies hovering to see if they can rob eggs or tiny chicks, though. Intend to relocate the bird table and feeding station this week to see what we can persuade in with a mixed menu. In the Autumn, I’m planning to dig a scrape (hardly a pond) and hope for more diversity of wildlife at the bottom of the garden, fenced off from the dogs.

2 Likes

Good on y’, Tom. Hedgehog popl’'n is declining in UK and good to see someone cares.

1 Like

There are all sorts of things in my backyard. Deer, foxes, rabbits, groundhogs. Just recently took this pic of a deer and one of a turtle dove eating some bugs on a freshly tilled bed.

4 Likes

The buzzing of bumblebees and other bugs around the flowers on my sycamore tree is deafening right now! I’ve read in a few different places that sycamores aren’t as great for wildlife as a lot of other trees, but every spring the bumblebees go crazy for it.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen any bumble bees yet, but I have seen a honeybee, some paper wasps and 3 butterflies.

1 Like

In the last two days I’ve also found two dead bumblebees. One was completely hollowed out, which was quite alarming! But it turns out that great tits sometimes do this to bees. A shame for the bee, but good to know the birds are eating well!

We’ve had bumble bees for about a month and lately the honey bees are emerging. Why do bumble bees commit hari-kari? I’ve poured two out of my watering can lately. One sadly dead but luckily the other survived. I’m just hoping that those who are around got a good feast on my pear tree to give it some heavy pollinating. Wasps are around early.

1 Like

We had a load of tortoiseshell & peacock butterflies a few weeks ago, plenty of leafcutter bees and lacewings, a few beetles. The odd bumblebee. A squirrel hopped along our fence and beat a hasty retreat when it met a cat, only to be confronted by our dog on the way back. It was a standoff for a moment before it dived over the fence into the next garden. There are buzzards circling overhead as I type this, and I’ve seen what I think is a kestrel occasionally too. Oh and we have a pair of house sparrows nesting in our roof under a missing tile!

4 Likes

The bumblebees must have been thirsty! I hate to say it, but has been very dry for a bit too long now, at least where I live. Today I was planting calabrese and a bee fly alighted on the damp ground where I’d watered. It looked very much like it was having a drink.

2 Likes

Just in case anyone wants to see what a hollowed out bumblebee looks like :astonished:

1 Like

They are beautiful! Are they regulars?

1 Like

The quail showed up last spring for the first time. We’ve never had them in our yard/garden before that, because my 15 lb tabby cat, Bear, kept most things out of the yard, including raccoons. We had to put him down 2 years ago and since we have been getting all kinds of new visitors. We’ve had morning doves, chorus frogs, Sharp Shinned hawks and I saw a garter snake last year. So I would say they are regulars and they come just about everyday.

3 Likes

We call this an “army worm” as it comes in force in Autumn…

Going to spray some BT tomorrow…

3 Likes

They are beautiful! We have had something exciting but tiny in comparison and I didn’t manage to get very good photos, we have had (only 4) little pure jet black bumblebees. I note how many and what variety of bees we get as I am really interested and do the Big Bug Hunt and apparently these ones are really rare, so it is lovely to see them on one hand. But not on the other as they are apparently an indicator species and the reason they have made it this far north is because of global warming, so a mixed blessing, but they are sweet and very camera shy…

5 Likes

I found this praying mantis egg sack at the beginning of March. It’s hanging in a maple tree. I’ve been keeping my eye on it hoping I’ll get to see them hatch or at least see that they did.

4 Likes

As we all know, the bumble bee is the Boeing 747 amongst that category of insects. It’s a wonder that they can fly at all! My poor critters weren’t thirsty, it was simply death by misadventure. They seem to like to explore dark places and, when the floor is water - like the wonderful swans - take off from water can be something of a laboured struggle. I will cheerfully swat any and every wasp that comes into range but seriously mourn the loss of one of nature’s Jumbo Jets. They are not only beautiful, they are one of nature’s most delightful (and useful) curios.

1 Like

The bumblebee has always reminded me of a little black bear with wings! A few years ago, We had a terrible rain storm and after it stopped we went back outside. I noticed a bumble clinging to the window pane of our back door, with all his limbs for dear life. I grabbed something for him to climb onto and took him to the cucumber patch and tucked him safely inside after cooing and singing softly to him. I had something happen to me that day and saw them in a new light. They have a place in my heart. I can honestly say I love the bumbles (and honeybee’s too). We’re learning about how to have a hive and plan to get one next year, hopefully. I used to be irrationally afraid of them, that’s all gone now. They’ve taught me, they’re just to busy to bother me :slight_smile: what helpers they are to us, I want to be helpful back and make my garden a haven for them.

3 Likes

That’s super cool! I’ve never seen such a thing!!!

1 Like