Where to get Gardening Supplies while under Lockdown

We’ve started to hear of online gardening suppliers who are seeing a huge surge of demand at this time as people are isolating at home and the spring season starts. However, these companies are struggling to keep up with demand and have their staff maintain social distancing.

Ordering online means that delivery services will also become strained.

What are people doing about getting hold of supplies needed for the garden? Is it better to order online, support a local supplier or to make do with what we have from last year?

I suppose if we are trying to ‘Dig For Victory’ then I guess Make Do and Mend is the way forward. It takes the pressure off the online services for a bit and also it is a pretty sustainable way of living. So although I was hoping for a new wheelbarrow I guess I will just try and pump up that tyre again and chug on…

3 Likes

A local hardware store near us is making deliveries, which is handy. Great to support local businesses at this time.

That is good, I have to say I got a delivery this morning from Sarah Raven some sweet cicely plants, have never grown those before so that will be a nice change, anyone any tips?

This would be a great time to start a compost pile! It’s all I use in my garden. You may not be able to get anything from it this season, but it will definitely be ready for the next!

4 Likes

Brilliant, do you have any special tips on how to start one?

Agree but if you can’t wait and are able to food shop recommend compost at lidl.

2 Likes

Thanks good to know, I’m afraid that there isn’t one round here but am always looking for new sources, some of them are so dear to buy and my brother raves about Lidl and their prices.

You want to make sure to have a good balance of green (fresh) and brown (dry, paper, woody) material, stacked like a layer cake, being sure to break up any clumped material. Do not add meat or anything that has been with meat. If you can get a bucket of finished compost and some that is still in the process of breaking down (make sure it’s from a healthy compost), it will really help adding it to a new compost heap, as it already contains the beneficial bacteria needed to start breaking down the materials in your pile. You don’t want it to be too wet or too dry either. I keep mine covered with a tarp and turn it regularly. I have a very large pile so, I shift the complete compost out in the fall and the spring to add to the garden and raised beds. Completed compost will have a rich earthy smell. This picture is my compost pile now after adding some new material and turning what I could with a pitchfork. The part on the right will begin what will be ready in the fall and the part of the left is what I need to shift for this season. Now, I just need a few days that are not windy, rainy or snowy, lol.

3 Likes

Epic compost heap :+1:

2 Likes

I have to say that is a beauty! Now I have compost envy!

2 Likes

Marlynn seems to have the right idea.and certainly gets the right results. I use compost ‘bins’ but like others, I envy her results. Don’t waste a scrap of organic material as it will all turn to soil in the end and it will feed your own soil. Nature back to nature.

3 Likes

We are ordering seeds and starter plants online. A local garden center will deliver 10 50lb bags of manure for $35. It will take 2 days waiting in the queue. We called them prior to ask them how long it would take to get the delivery and, yes, you are correct… She said they are getting about 100 orders a day! They only have one delivery company with only a few drivers, God bless them. Also, we have a young, local fellow who is also willing to help us (Seniors) and he went out for a curbside pickup to replenish some needed groceries :heart:

2 Likes

Yep, we are making do, too. I sure miss having fresh milk every week. (We are currently using powdered at this point) I have had dreams of a cow! :laughing:

1 Like

My local garden centre is busy making deliveries - really busy! They sold six months worth of compost in just two weeks!

1 Like

Update…one year’s worth of compost in three weeks :astonished: Still waiting for my delivery…

1 Like

Our Garden Center is now open. Yippee!

2 Likes

Brilliant, what a positive sign!

Current at 19th May 2020 - For the least couple of years, I got almost all of my seeds from UK-based Premier Seeds who had a massive load of listings on eBay at incredible prices (low). Sadly, they are no longer on eBay due to pressure of the lockdown and a reduced team but their company website is back up and running with a wide variety of available seeds. Premier Seeds Direct have all the Defra and other cert’s and can be relied on. Worth looking up on Google or whatever if you are in the UK. Marshalls and Thompson and Morgan et al are also alive and well and providing a good on-line service.
Compost is still at a premium from B&Q and other main sources but if you are anywhere near East Staffordshire, Byrkley Garden Centre still seem to have some and can deliver at a very reasonable cost. I think that they are now open but being overwhelmed currently (19/5) with excessive queues.

Well lockdown has been cautiously lifted from garden centres in the UK and I found this today…

2 Likes