What's everyone planting/sowing now

Hi all what’s everyone planting/sowing now please? I can’t get to my allotment at moment due to coronavirus as it’s too far to walk cycle so having to turn my garden into a allotment

1 Like

I put 2 varieties of lettuce (Buttercrunch and Little Gem), Peas, Kholrabi, and 2 types of carrots (Uzbek Golden and Nannettes) in the ground today. I put lots of warm weather veggies and flowers to start in the greenhouse this last week. I’m a little bit behind, I think, but it should still be okay.

3 Likes

Can empathise. The lower 60-odd feet of our garden is something of an allotment, Moved in here 4/19 and planted masses of seed varieties, only to compost most of them as I couldn’t get the ground ready in time. This year I expected my beds to be full of manure - lock-down has put stop to that. This year I’ve got an 8ft polytunnel stuffed with seeds sown 5/3, 15/3 and the final major Spring sowing later today (29/3). I’ll also be digging most of the beds instead of the intended no-dig. What fun! No Runners this year except Dwarf Hestia as 19’s winds were constantly toppling the Polestar - everything else from Aubergines to Zuchinni though, in the hope for a better year. Garden plan will give you an idea https://www.growveg.co.uk/garden-plan.aspx?p=1056282 Luckily, it’s not too late for most things but the dilemma is that we don’t know how long this period of lock-down is going to last - this must be extra frustrating when you already have growing space out of reach! Wishing you well as converting ‘new’ land is no joke, esp if there is something of a deadline. I hope that your ‘homestead’ soil is fairly amenable. Shout out if your seeds are also out of reach as well.

I have been planting 3 varieties of tomatoes and although I have an unheated greenhouse the best place to grow them is always the window sills and they are coming through. The other thing I have done is lots of different types of salad leaves and rocket. I do a charity plant sale each year and can’t do that this year so am hoping to put up a little free take table somewhere, also have butternut squash coming through on another window sill and spaghetti squash in the bathroom!

3 Likes

Shouldn’t you be growing loofah gourds in the bathroom!?! Hope everything flourishes.

1 Like

Have actually tried them before, but actually in the greenhouse from some free seeds, I wasn’t really good at them they were a bit scratchy and none of the family would use them. I also decided it was a bit of a waste of space in the greenhouse as I could have been growing a couple of extra tomatoes…

My Brussels sprouts and cauliflower have germinated on my mantelpiece now so I’ve put them out to brave the cold nights in the greenhouse along with leeks, broccoli, rocket/arugula, lettuce, spinach, peas and more. I sowed a few extra tomatoes recently too, a bit later than usual so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Also started some winter squashes - the crop last year was rubbish so I’m starting them a little earlier to give them more time to grow. They’ll stay indoors for a few more weeks though.

2 Likes

I’ve only planted peas, radishes, and beets so far. I’m going to start sowing seeds indoors today and try to find a spot that gets enough light.

2 Likes

I just transplanted some young spinach and cabbage. Beets are in, and also a cold hardy lettuce. We enjoy fresh micro sprouts year round. I am trying a spicy greens blend. And, I got my peas in finally.

2 Likes

Planted peas, radish, mustard greens outside and have lettuce, leeks and raab in polytunnel.
We are having a bit of a cold snap here, hoping next week will be warmer. Keeping an eye on those nighttime temps.
Lovely forum…

1 Like

Window sills are a great place to start and don’t forget your bathroom, my seeds seem to like the mist from the shower!

3 Likes

Thank you for the tip!

Today was sowing the ‘warm stuff’ - aubergines, melon, cucumber, etc + sunflowers, celery and a few more bits.

Sounds like your well ahead, digreen. Well done. My peas are just beginning to show in their gutters. Most of my things won’t be ready to plant until at least the end of the month.

That lot sounds positively exotic! Well done!

1 Like

Maybe you should grow loofahs in the bathroom, eh? Hand pick and use!

2 Likes

I’ve already got grand rapids lettuce, little gem lettuce, spinach and peas in the ground. I’ll be adding another round of those, plus transplanting my upland cress into the ground this week. Debating whether or not to plant my tomatoes in the ground with homemade cloches out of water bottles because I started them too early and they’re getting a little big for my windowsill.

1 Like

I planted Walla Walla onion sets a few days ago after letting them dry out for far too long while giving most of my attention to kid’s’ schoolwork and building a treehouse for them. I’m also trying to get asparagus established and I just watched some videos on companion planting it with strawberries…Any advice on that?

2 Likes

Here in Michigan, you can only get away with cool weather crops. I planted 164 Purple Haze carrots and over 100 Dantes Half Long carrots. I also had some garlic pop up in the garden unexpectedly from last year that I respaced into the garden following my square-foot gardening method. I have raised cedar beds and practice square foot gardening. I plan on planting some lettuce this week as well. My basement is packed with seeds under grow lights. (This picture is from last year.)

5 Likes

From the point of view of putting them in a bed together for convenience because both are perennial that is a good choice and your soil won’t have to be disturbed. As far as companion planting goes ''Pot marigold and Petunia. are thought to deter asparagus beetles, tomatoes are thought to repel asparagus beetle as does Calendula. And re the strawberries Borage strengthens resistance to insects and disease.Thyme, as a border, deters pests and it enhances flavour.Strawberries and french beans grow much better together than separately.Nigella grown nearby brings pollinators." So maybe a few of the flowers in and around and you have it sorted.

2 Likes