What veg to plant in wind exposed and full sun?

Hi All,

Lacking space and having shade issues with the space I do have it occurred to me to build a pergola over part of a decking area that has the most sun. Thinking to grow some climbers up it of course but also I could grow some plants on a platform i could make on top if i extend the beams back over the conservatory a bit… They would be in full sun the whole day but it would be exposed to any wind. I have some tomato grow bags which would fit nicely along it but read that they like a sheltered spot. Is that really a golden rule for them? Are there some varieties that would be ok? Or do I need to consider a different plant for that space? I have quite a few strawberry plants and some bird netting… better idea?

Hi Tom, I have a very windy garden and I find it helps to protect plants in their younger stages by shielding them with something until they get a bit bigger and have a stronger root system. Personally, I’d avoid growing tomatoes in a windy spot - they get buffeted around an awful lot and, depending on your climate, may not get the heat they need to produce well. Strawberries sound like a good idea since they’re low-growing and will be less affected by the wind. Salad leaves might be OK too, but it really depends how windy it tends to get.

2 Likes

thanks, well its sheltered by the house on one side but pretty exposed on the other, no worse than any open ground i guess strawberries need a place still so perhaps thats the answer. Its such a mix of positions we have with varying shade and shelter its a real puzzle working out what will be best where.

1 Like

Malabar spinach…

Hardy and has great climbing capabilities and the thick fleshy leaves protect anything underneath from wind.
However the seeds are covered in a purple flesh… a very colourful purple flesh…

I think the leaves are best young as they get a slimy texture as they age. I will post a picture tomorrow when the sun is up.

3 Likes

Hi Tom bro’ - welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy the community of veg (and other) growers in these weird times. You are truly welcomed on board.

1 Like

great, thanks for that, ordered some, my wife knows what it is and likes it to eat. Interesting that it climbs quicker in shade as its hunting for light i guess. Its given me the idea to plant it in planters to climb up the side of a fence next to the pergola and i’ll use something else for the main posts

1 Like

Thanks. I’m an interesteding test case I reckon. Can someone go from knowing nothing to getting a productive garden in the first season using all the information available online these days. I’m oppotomistic

1 Like

I think you can… you Just might need to adjust what you call productive…

I was happy with one fresh salad a day from my first attempt at a veggie garden.

1 Like

No I’m aiming for much more than that. I’ll keep you posted

1 Like

Go for it, Tom! Nature does most of the work if you look up basic care instructions for each set of seed/plants and take care of them. Just don’t be too disappointed with failures if they occur - sow some more! We learn more from mistakes from successes. Last year some Cabbage White got to my seedlings unnoticed. (Keep them protected) I lost not only all my brassicas almost overnight but the horseradish as well to them. The Lettuce did not germinate. Other stuff was better. This year I had to re-sow brassicas as they looked pretty sad and sow some more broad beans as germination was ‘bitty’. It’s all part of the fun. Take care of any spare seeds in case you get a flop and sow some more. Spring hasn’t been entirely helpful in the UK but - who knows - we may get a prolonged Summer which will give us the length of season we need.

3 Likes

Best of luck… can’t wait to see what you can do.

1 Like

This is great advice - we all have garden failures, no matter how experienced we are! The key is to learn from the things that go wrong. Each year is a new chance to get more things right!

4 Likes

Hi Tom, we live in a really windy area, getting gusts sometimes over 30mph. It’s true there are some plants that don’t do well in the wind, but we still have success with tomatoes. So long as you stake/cage them well they should be fine. We find most veggies can tolerate the wind; the wind will trigger most plants to stiffen up their stalk at least some, and for our favas for example we put stakes around the plot and make a grid from twine. We also grow a lot of leafy greens which don’t need any staking.

As for taller plants, we’re growing “four sisters” which is corn, beans, squash and sunflowers in the same bed. We have Russian mammoth which don’t seem to mind the wind at all. The pole beans climb up the corn and help support it. Of course the squash grows close to the ground so it’s not really affected.

The things which we found do not like wind at all are basil, summer savory and cilantro.

I hope this is helpful.

You might well if you are in your forties and in good health.My initial vision of a productive garden in six months when I was 70+ had to get real! In my second year, I am getting some rally good produce but it will be Yr3 when both vision and possibilities come together. Information is great. Resources and available effort follow on. Gardening can start right away but to fulfill the overall vision takes a little patience. It’ll be worth it!.