What to grow in part shade

I was thinking of turning the sandbox area of my son’s playground set into an extra garden bed, as he is done with it as a sandbox. It will be shaded and in the sun throughout the day. I can also easily add more shade if needed or easily protect it from cold or insects. What grows well in part shade? Any suggestions for this space, if I do turn it into a growing area?

Leafy greens like lettuce, rocket/arugula, kale and chard will grow well in shady areas, or try carrots or celery. You could possibly plant climbing peas or beans in the bed and train them up the outside of the structure too. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Both Rhubarb and Strawberries do well in partial shade for me, the strawberries do ripen later than those grown in the sunnier parts of our garden but are still nice. Any leafy veg, chard is great, endives are nice for a change and spinach loves it.

2 Likes

My son would probably love plants climbing up the sides of the fort. I have plenty of climbing peas and I could still put greens in the middle. I also have watermelon and squash, I don’t know how well those would work, but I collect my own seeds, so I have enough that I could try some different things.

3 Likes

Yes, rhubarb grows great in partial shade, my current patch is in partial shade and it’s coming up. I do have extra strawberries to find a home for and it could be a convenient place, as the raised bed with my strawberries is right next to it (you can see it in the picture behind the ladders).

1 Like

Dug it down, put garden fabric at the bottom and added soil and compost. I still need to do something with the little area. I might fill it with some rocks, so I can use it as easy access and a place to sit some pots. Now, I just have to wait until I can plant.

4 Likes

Looking really well prepared there! Have you decided what to plant?

2 Likes

I asked my son what he thought and he likes the idea of having plants that climb. So, I think peas around the edges and maybe watermelon or squash planted at the corners. In the middle greens (I have these: lettuce, spinach, cabbage or Tatsoi) and radishes. I’m hoping I can get my son to plant the bed, he’s 11 and autistic, so it will depend on his mood and how his day is going.

3 Likes

I don’t believe it, mine is 16 and has aspergers as do I! Whilst gardening isn’t his favourite thing he has done it with me since he was tiny and loves the wild life and the outdoors but not so much the chores, apart from harvesting and eating the produce.

3 Likes

He does love swimming in the garden soil, watching the insects and wildlife. He also loves harvesting and eating the produce. I’m still trying to get him to try a tomato, but he just won’t do it.

1 Like

He may well do in his own time, my sons timing was often on his own terms about trying different things, has he grown them himself before? I found with Daniel that if he grew them himself he was more interested in eating them and with tomatoes he tried the yellow ones before the red ones.

1 Like

Philip does tend to try things more on his terms and he has helped me plant a little. He is totally excited to plant peas under his fort and he said he might try a tomato.

Brilliant, I used to go with the flow with Daniel, I found that he did everything but later than his peer group and once he mastered something he really loved doing it, well done Philip!

1 Like

I read that children are very attracted to small, yellow tomatoes, so I have ordered some seeds called ‘Ildi’, aka ‘Yellow Grape’. They, along with a number of other veggie seeds are scheduled to arrive tomorrow, so I am excited to get started! :smile:

2 Likes

Here is Philip’s garden! Everything came up except for the butternut. I guess the next thing to show him is how to thin out the plants.

2 Likes

That’s brilliant and I bet he will be good at that and enjoy it. I love the diggers, an excellent vibe for a gardener of the future!

1 Like