What have you learned about your garden through being in lockdown?

One of the things I have learnt is that I have to refill the bird baths at least 3 times a day, I have learnt that it really matters where I put things in the greenhouse and that I have to move plants around so that they don’t over heat and that salad leaves just zoom at this time of the year, from sowing to eating in under 3 weeks!

1 Like

I’ve had the time to check my plants more often and due to our hot humid weather have managed mealy bugs and the like daily as suggested by experts.
I have a question please, does anyone know how to eradicate “asparagus fern”? I’ve been trying to dig it out which in some cases is close to impossible. Thanks.

Hi, I’m afraid the only way that I have done it is by digging it up, do be careful though when you are doing so as the fern can be a skin irritant.

1 Like

I’ve learned that if I don’t pay attention when hoeing I’ll hoe off those self-seeded calendula seedlings that I meant to keep - oops…

3 Likes

What I’ve learned:

Don’t let your bored husband till out more and more beds that you can’t fill up!

5 Likes

I have learned that my garden doesn’t need as much water as I’ve given it in past years. Being home I seem to worry less and observe more and it’s doing pretty well with little intervention, considering the destructive nature of the dogs and chickens. Yay!

4 Likes

Insects don’t understand the rules of lockdown and refuse to stay at home.

6 Likes

Whoops! At least he’s on the case with you. Might be worth hosing those empty beds down and then covering with black plastic to discourage new weeds until you’re ready!

Thanks. I can attest to it irritating the skin by finding out the hard way :joy:. It’s hard work but hopefully worth it in the end. Cheers.

1 Like

oh yes! Thankfully we found a good price on weed barrier. That’ll do until I can find more time and more plants to fill the areas. lol

Don’t panic, Voiced Joy. It makes good sense. In these unprecedented times, with compost in the UK being as scarce as hen’s teeth, I’m having to learn patience and flexibility. May ‘plan’ changes weekly with the success/failure of seedlings and the knowledge that not all my beds are in ‘perfectly-ready’ condition. It’s a case of doing what we can and making the best of the time and growing conditions that are available to us in the here and now. Those beds will fill in the fullness of time and I’ll rejoice with you, along with others, when they do.

1 Like