The joy of germinating seedlings

7 Likes

That’s the spirit - the spirit of hope and expectation, Susie. I’ve got hundreds of the things in my polytunnel and several are waking up - this last cold spell has not helped but next week should see an ‘veritable explosion’ of life as the local world warms up a bit. Brasicca seeds are nearly 100% up and that’s a fair start. Some of the beans are bursting. A great time to see minute objects begin t create sometimes enormous plants. 3rd sowing now done and now it is time to be patient - and hopeful!

3 Likes

I get excited when I see green poking up through the soil. So far I have started 4 kinds of tomatoes, onions, leeks, lavender, cabbage, rosemary, marigolds and Verbascum. I also started sage, which has not germinated yet. I was really excited about the rosemary, as it’s the first time trying them from seeds and I hope at least most of them make it to planting, as I have about 20 seedlings (pictured, they are so tiny).

5 Likes

They look nice and sturdy and so I should think they will thrive, to me it is the most exciting thing we do as gardeners! I have never lost that childhood thrill of peering at seed trays for those first little green shoots, nothing short of magic!

3 Likes

Know what you mean. Just seen about 60odd tiny green ‘hairs’ peeping out of each of my leek and onion cell trays. Peas are now about to go nuts in their gutters. Hope - sweet hope.

3 Likes

I making fruit box mini garden. I’ll eat some of the seedlings in a salad, pot others and let the rest grow. Useful actively to do with children. image

3 Likes

A brilliant activity to do with children and compact enough not to overwhelm them, I bet you are all going to enjoy that…

1 Like

We were given these sunflower seeds when we had a photo shoot for the kids. It really helps my mental health to get out to the greenhouse and see new growth.

3 Likes

Quite frankly I still think it is magic, I sow and wait for the seeds each year and each year it seems like a miracle that you plant this little dried up thing and out pops this lush, green little plant!

5 Likes

Watching seedlings come up is the best! I have lettuce and asparagus poking their heads out in the garden right now. I get giddy each time I see something new sprouting.

3 Likes

So do I, I still think it is like Magic!

3 Likes

This was what was heard the last few days at our house…i see a bean! We got 3 beans!! 7 beans!! And last night before bed (I just had to have a final peek)…20 out of 26 broad beans accounted for!!!

3 Likes

That is lovely! I am exactly the same, squealing about custard squash at the moment, we have 7 and 5 butternuts, very exciting!

2 Likes

We’re just getting into trying different squashes, they’re yummy! My fav is spaghetti squash. Hubs new fav is butternut with cinnamon sprinkled on top.
What is a custard squash?

1 Like

They are really easy little summer squash to grow, they don’t last as long as the butternut or the spaghetti one to store but they are fun to grow and lovely picked young, their other name is patty pan squash. Kids like growing them as they look like flying saucers…[(upload://tQEQWfnyuAV1N71usgHwh114lM2.jpeg)

2 Likes

3 Likes

Ok, right, I’ve seen them grown in white and yellow! I think it was huws nursery that showed them.
Are they a custard texture and taste? That might be something to put on next seasons list :slight_smile:

Pulled apart my box of seeds to sort the Autumn/winter crops

Then I spotted them up…

5 Likes

What a variety! Will that keep you all through the winter?

3 Likes

As we are all sold out of seedlings where I live I also plan to pot some up and share with friends. :blush:

3 Likes