Something Different

I’d like to know what people are trying as something new or different or challenging this season. In the past for me it’s been oca, chinese artichokes and ginger. This year I’m giving physalis, or Cape gooseberry a try. Maybe you are trying a very weird variety of tomato? (There’s one in our seed catalogue called a Cannibal’s Tomato. It comes from Fiji and was used historically to make human flesh more digestible. It is not on my list…)

1 Like

Never grown aubergines or melons before and am giving them a go this season.

2 Likes

Good luck! They are staples in my garden. Melons can be variable year by year depending on the summer we get. I always grow a heritage variety of aubergine and always have good results.

1 Like

My hubby and I have decided to take a look through the seed catalog and find 1 thing that is either strange, beautiful, crazy etc and have an extra plot dedicated to them each year
This season he has decided on painted mountain corn and I picked blue Hubbard squash so we decided to do a 3 sisters plot with blue podded peas! We even invested in a hand grain Miller so we can make tortillas from the corn.

2 Likes

Blue podded peas! Are they for eating fresh or mainly as dried peas over the winter? I love the three sisters’ system and use it with sunflowers, melons and sweet peas as a change. Good luck!

Thank you! They’re new to us but seedsavers.org says this about them, The Blue Podded Pea colorfully produces lovely purple- blue pods that can be harvested young & used as a snow-pea, or let mature & shell for soup peas (dry soak overnight for dried peas ). The flowers are a beautiful purple/red & the pods are a deep purple/ blue. So hopefully we can try them both ways :slight_smile: I’m very excited to get started and see what this growing season has in store for us! Hope you have a great one too! Blessings to you :heart:

1 Like

Wow Angela, what a brilliant idea. I would love to see pictures as it progresses.

1 Like

Hi Heidi! I will definitely post some garden pics and will be looking forward to seeing everyone else’s!
Here’s my indoor seed starting table…a “before” picture

5 Likes

Me, too! I am trying 3 different varieties of eggplant (never grown before) and 3 different melons, including honeydew, canteloupe and watermelon. I have grown little ‘sugar baby’ watermelons in the past and they were interesting, but this year, I have seeds for growing those great big ones called ‘Carolina Cross’. I plan on having a watermelon feast for my family and our neighbors come this July and August! :smile: What kind of eggplants and melons are you planting?

1 Like

Love this! :heart: :seedling: :smiley:

I’m tight for undercover space and so I’m just growing Cantaloupe - one or two at most from six seeds sown. Hope that the feast is melon-iscious!

I’ve ordered seeds for two types of Anthocyanin (antioxident) tomatoes, one in a regular size called ‘Blue Beauty’ and the other in a cherry size called ‘Blue Berries’. I’ve read the small ones are quite tart so you have to let them fully ripen. :tomato:

I’m having another go at ground cherries. Tried once before (years and years ago) so I’m hoping now I have what it takes to grow them! :smile:

1 Like

Gosh! Cherries!!! :cherries: Nice! I looooove cherries!! Wish we could grow them in the South! Only the ornamental kind will grow down here. Would love to see pictures!

Not cherries - ground cherries, aka cape gooseberry (Physalis peruviana), which just to be really confusing is neither a cherry or a gooseberry :grinning:

Cherries (and ground cherries!) aren’t really suitable for here in Scotland either, although having said that in my neighbour’s garden there is a cherry tree which produces acceptable edible fruits (no I didn’t scrump them, how dare you…oh all right maybe I did :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

1 Like

Hi there, veg. You are taking on an old fella back to pre-teen days when I regularly got ‘Delhi-belly’ from scrumping under-ripe apples - but we never got caught! The gastronomic punishment fitted the crime!

1 Like

I’m going for color: purple podded peas, purple kohlrabi, purple cabbage, and orange and purple cauliflowers. I also planted potatoes for the first time this year!

2 Likes

I’m growing several things that I’ve never tried growing before this year, sweet potatoes, asparagus beans, pac choi, celery, blue cherry tomatoes, purple kohlrabi, mustards (I fell in love with them from the farmers market this year), aubergines and purple sprouting broccoli.

1 Like