'SALAD DAYS' are approaching

As we progress in the N Hemisphere towards Summer, salads come to the fore.
Tomatoes and Cucumbers are my staples.
This year I’ve had differing successes with seeds.
Tomatoes - Gardener’s Delight and Sweet Million have shown good signs but my favourite - Ailsa Craig - failed but re-sowing seems to be paying off. I’ve sent online for some Moneymaker plugs (good tom’s but not my first choice although it was my late-Dad’s) as my normal local source of plants is closed in lockdown.
Cucumbers - Mini-Munch and Early Burpless are doing OK but again- my favourites La Diva - failed but I am hopeful for re-sowings.
I - for some rason - never seem to do well with lettuce of all varieties.
How are folk doing - in the UK and further afield - with their salad crops?

Not doing too badly but have hoiked everyone back inside under glass after last weeks frosts. No real casualties but potato, out door grape vines and one our acers got frosted. This year everything has been in and out like a square dance and I have mixed up the tomatoes! I am growing 4 types Roma, I know where they are, but have mixed an italian beef tomato Costoluto Fiorentino, a cherry Sungold and a little one for pots that was free with Gardeners World Mag, so that should add to the fun, a real lucky dip! Salad leaves and lettuce fine, onions look fab, herbs going very well, squash and courgettes taking forever.

1 Like

@SusieH, I’m growing Costoluto Fiorentino too and since the flowers started I’ve noticed that there’s one fasciated bloom in each cluster. Not sure if it’s a feature of the variety because I haven’t grown it before but it might be a way to help ID yours!

1 Like