Regrowing Tree Limbs

This poor branch got broken so we put it in some water and its buds have started opening. Is this just a process of residual energy or will it grow roots and become a new tree? And if so how do I make it so?

1 Like

I’m having a hard time making out what kind of tree it is from the pic, but some trees like willow will take root readily from cut branches.

1 Like

This is from a cherry tree which is about 4 foot high so far.

1 Like

It might grow - normally you’d take cherry cuttings in summer, or else during winter when they’re dormant so this isn’t the normal time. You can but try!

If it happens to be from a grafted tree the variety of the scion (trunk and branches) won’t be the same as the rootstock that it was grafted onto. The rootstock is usually a dwarfing variety used to restrict the growth of the tree, so you might find it grows much larger than the parent.

2 Likes

Do I just leave it in a jug of water until it creates roots or should I give it rooting powder and plant in soil?

This is some great info here, I’m now wondering if it will grow differently from its parent plant. Thanks also for teaching me that a scion isn’t just the sort of shiny trinket Lara Croft might be searching for :grin::+1:

Well it’s a shiny trinket for Lara Croft to find too :wink:

I haven’t tried rooting cuttings in straight water, but putting it into a gritty potting mix will give it a good chance. Hormone rooting powder is optional but could help. It may be that the branch will be too busy trying to put out fresh new leaves for the new growing season to have any energy to spare for producing roots, but there’s no harm in giving it a shot! Garden experiments are fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would we be better shortening it?

1 Like

Yes, that’s a good point - I forgot to say that! Six inches is good for most cuttings. You could actually take several cuttings off that one branch to maximise the chances of at least one taking. Make the bottom cut diagonal to increase the area that roots can emerge from.

1 Like