NEVER swat a bee!

It’s Earth Day 2020 today and the focus seems to be on bees.
None of us like the idea of being stung and bees can often stray into the house. Some get quite hysterical when that happens. Stop! Think! Bees know that to sting us is almost certain death to themselves so that they are reluctant to do so. Bees are as important to our gardens and the planet as you and I are.
We keep the cut off top half of a clear plastic bottle and a piece of thin card. When they migrate to a window as they usually do, capture them with the bottle without trapping their legs and gently slip the card under the card and transport them to the open air. It’s safe and dead easy. Value the humble bee - they are crucial to our well-being (and they give us that most amazing delicious and health-giving taste of nature - HONEY)

3 Likes

I love honeybees! :cherry_blossom: :honeybee:

1 Like

Yep! We do the same, I have a few little clear pots and postcards at the ready…They are so lovely aren’t they? We have had 8 types so far in our garden this year including some Tawny mining bees, little tiny ginger ones that make holes in the lawn and are SO cute. But the best ones this year are little shy black ones, jet black apart from their pollen sacks, they are really shy and don’t like being photographed but are apparently quite rare!

1 Like

I SO much love this saying! The first time I saw it was many years ago on a visit to Salt Spring Island near Vancouver, British Columbia. I have always loved honeybees and one of my goals is to have a set of beehives one day, set in the 4 corners of my garden. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like