Never say 'die'!

Just a note. My wife received a pack of over 30+ plugs from a well-known UK nursery who shall be nameless. They were (believe me) minute and most looked on their last legs. We both sighed with resignation and just left them to dry out and complete their living exit from this world in a respectable fashion.
They were so tiny that they hardly deserved a decent burial.
2 weeks later (2 days ago), I am tidying up the greenhouse and found that rather wretched package and was about to bin the lot.
1/2 dozen of these wretched micro-plugs were still green although absolutely bone dry. They had no sense of reality!
I’ve not the slightest idea what they are.
Being the softy that I am, I eased them out of their package and set them around a clematis in a large pot and gave them some H2O.

I wish I had the grip on life that they have! The little devils are still green and look as though they may actually (one day in this or the next decade or century) come to something.
Sometimes, we all know, you have to dump failures and learn stuff.
But in some cases -
Never say die until things are dead

2 Likes

My mother brought home a mini rose back in April and it started to look dead, so I sat it outside the door. I went out the next day expecting it to be totally done and it looked better, so I planted it into one of the flower beds. It went through a few frosts and I had to cut the dead stuff off, but the darn thing looks fantastic now. I have a few things that I transplanted into the garden that are looking a bit on edge, but I’m leaving them until I’m sure they are, lol.

1 Like

I bought a greengage tree the same way. Due to my utter neglect and being consumed with other tasks, I dumped it in a bucket of water and hoped for the best.
To do it justice, it should have died on me.
In a moment of overdue guilt, I put it in a bucket of compost and watered it and fed it well.
As I mentioned before somewhere, some plants have a much greater grasp of life than ‘yours truly’.
It may do no good this year but, in my opinion, the obstinate tree will find life over the season and be ready to show a start of its glory next year.
All due respect to nature and its determination to outlive us all.
I am always impressed by the way that nature find success out of our sometime failures.

3 Likes

If anyone has any tips on how to resuscitate a very dry (burnt) bay tree, I would be grateful, it was a beautiful gift and got scorched on our little patio where I had put it thinking it was Mediterranean and would like it…

Hi Susie - I can’t speak for your specimen but se the saga of my gage tree above… My advice would be to pick off the definitely burnt-to-death bits, give it a bit of a feed and leave it in the shade and see what happens. Nature is very resilient if we give it just a little bit of TLC. That may be the wrong answer but that’s what I’d do.

1 Like

Spot on, that’s exactly what I have done to the letter, but it looks terrible, my husband kindly said it looked like an upside down besom (witches broomstick) it has 4 leaves left…I was just checking if there was anything I had missed…

It’s got leaves - it’s alive!!! (if only just)!!

It has 6 leaves and I keep peering at it in hope of more :smiley:

Gosh I’ve had so many plants I thought were goners come back to life that now if they give me problems I banish them to a lower shelf of the greenhouse or in the shade on the patio, and tell them, “show me you want to live.” I had an indoor fern that kept annoying the crap out of me with its constant wilting neediness for water, so I plucked it from its pot, put it in a smaller one with all the dead bits cut off and now it’s green and apparently happy, stuck outside behind a water fountain. I feel like like David Tennant in Good Omens. Plants want to live, just give them time! Well…okay, water too.

1 Like

Hi everyone,
I’m one of those people who look around the farden centres for their ‘reduced’ stock. You know the sort of thing; plants that have missed the daily waterings, been keft to just survive etc.
I’ve got 5 olive trees in the garden, all in 160 litre pots each. Each one was a rescue plant costing around £4 and all are thriving really well. The oldest one (around 8 years old now) is about 10 - 11 feet tall.
I also have a kumquat, rescued from a school this year, which I’ve put into its own 160 litre pot. It had been neglected and was looking a bit down in the dumps, but hopefully it will come back ok.
My gardening methodology is plant it and see what happens. I’ve made mistakes and tried to grow things which just didn’t want to play, but it’s all part of learning.
I’m with all of you on this topic…don’t throw away, just try something different.

Louise

3 Likes

£4 for an olive tree!! Add a couple of zeros to get one in a garden centre here. What a bargain.

Personally, I’ve not either the space nor the inclination towards olives - BUT - what a snip!
Fantastic!
There are bargains to be had but you have to be there when they happen.

That sounds fantastic and I bet you have learnt so much doing it that way too…Have to say I wait until last at all the church sales and then get a job lot of stragglers with some interesting things that I would not have tried, such fun and satisfaction bringing plants back from the brink, but nothing in the same league as yours, my bargains tend to be annual veg…