Kohlrabi, What is it?

Kohlrabi…ok, what is this crazy looking veg? What’s it taste like and how do you prepare it?

It tastes like, and has the texture of, the midrib of a green cabbage leaf. They must be picked small, no bigger than a tennis ball, or they become woody and stringy.
You cut the root end off, cut off the leaves, which can be used like cabbage and are left with the root. Young and tender, you shouldn’t need to peel them, however it’s a personal taste, I never peel carrots or potatoes.
Try them sliced, raw, in very fine matchsticks, in a salad. Or lightly steamed, sliced and served with a vinaigrette dressing.
I hope you enjoy them. They are a fast growing, quick reward crop. Don’t sow too many seeds at a time, being a brassica they usually have a good germination rate.
Good luck.

2 Likes

I am sure I have these seeds hanging around and must give them a go.

1 Like

Thank you very much! We have just discovered brassicas and how much we love them, we’ll definitely be giving these a go! I don’t peel most thing either, I learned there’s nutrients and roughage in the peels

1 Like

It’s lovely and really easy to grow and is gorgeous made into fries, it is a cross between a turnip and a cabbage and it grows upright rather than across so it doesn’t take up that much space.

1 Like

We always used to eat kohlrabi raw, which is good, but last year I steamed it and then made a white sauce and it was delicious. This year I will be planting the purple variety. Purple on outside but white on inside.

2 Likes