Just spotted this Coronavirus: Will food supply fears see a rise in home-grown veg? What do we think?

Here is the BBC link https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52009161 Personally I hope it does as it is so good for the soul as well. Getting out in the garden amongst the fresh air and working with the soil has so many health benefits both mental and physical as soon as I open the backdoor I can feel myself breathe better.

6 Likes

And you get food! Nomnomnom :smiley:

1 Like

Ironically i had taken 2 weeks holidays just before this all brole out and it forced me to finally build my big garden beds id been saying i was going to for years, now everyday im enjoying watering and look at my produce grow! Super peaceful and helping ease my mind!

6 Likes

It’s already happening! Many Seed Merchants are struggling to keep up and DIY and Garden Centre sites are seeing compost etc flying out of the doors (until recently, of course). Apparently, vacated allotment sites are being snapped up at a rate of knots. ‘Digging for Victory’ over this virus and the threat of food-insecurity has really got a grip on a significant part of the nation. Let’s hope that folk realise the wider benefits of home-grown and sustain this movement beyond Covid19.

3 Likes

Absolutely! The world would be a better place without the frustrations and upset that you can get rid of digging and pottering under the sky in a garden. To my mind the most healing and natural place there is and the taste of the produce, completely different to that that you buy in the shops and the sheer satisfaction you get from planting that tiny seed and watching it grow into something amazing.

2 Likes

Australians have forced online seed and plant settlers to halt all online sales while they catch up with orders.

All nurses and major hardware stores have sold out of veggie seedlings.

Our local landscaper says he is easli doing double sales daily.

I think this is the best thing for communities and mental health

1 Like

Covid19 is doing a lot of damage to health, community and economy in the UK. Good to hear today that ‘Titch’ (Alan Titchmarsh) is campaigning to get garden centres open, often the most airy and spacious of stores allowing adequate distancing, so that gardeners can get their stuff and growers don’t go to the wall. His argument about the value to all our mental health is a valid one. B&Q in the UK are currently operating a 'Click&Collect’ by appointment system which is where I’m getting a shed load of compost on Monday. (actually I boasted - someone is getting it for us) Their 125ltr bags are poss the cheapest at about 7p+ per litre.

1 Like

Well done, that is good to know and yes his argument is a very valid one gardening in a time of such stress and uncertainty is very grounding (in more ways than one!)

1 Like

Here in PA, the garden centers are thankfully still open! My house is right next to a park and I’ve had a lot of neighbors start asking me about about starting their own vegetable garden. My mailman even stopped and asked a few questions about fertilizer. There was not this much interest last year. It’s amazing!

4 Likes

Perhaps opening garden centres generally would be pushing it a bit, but vegetable seeds should definitely be seen as essential. As well as the side benefits of keeping people fit and focused on something positive, growing what food we are able to at home means less pressure on the commercial food supply.

1 Like

The tractor supply stores are open, fully stocked with seeds and trees and plants and we always have a great experience with the friendly and helpful workers. They have a new system in place where you can order and pay online and they’ll bring it out to your truck ( or car). I couldn’t find seeds online so I went into the store and was amazed at the selection! I got garlic, onion sets, potato starts and an armload of vegetables and herb seed packets. The prices were half what they are selling for online. Non GMO, heirloom and organic too.

4 Likes

Glad to hear that prices have not been inflated where you are locally in the current health crisis. I’ve just had an email 'discussion’ with a guy who was selling pea seeds on ebay for ‘20p (that’s GBP) per pea’!!

1 Like

I guess he won’t have many takers, you can grow peas very well from the casserole mixtures of dried pulses you get at a supermarket!

1 Like

I’m so glad you said that, I remembered someone, somewhere, saying something about…at 2 am last night…so I jumped out of bed and grabbed my 15 bean dry bean soup bag and planted a bunch of them!!! Prayed over them and went back to sleep, hahaha. I think I paid a buck for the bag❤hmmm? What’s up with that??

3 Likes

That made me smile, you are not the only mad gardener jumping out of bed at that time either! I remembered at about 2.00 I had left my new birthday Baytree outside and it looked like a frost, a quick rescue mission retrieved it!

2 Likes

Glad to know I’m not alone!!!:heart:

Great idea… those beans should sprout no problem but those split peas really need prayers because they need both halves to grow… keep water up to those egg trays as there is not much moisture and it wicks up through the cardboard.

I have some pearl barley that I would love to try and grow but have no idea if they are viable without their husks.

1 Like

I wondered that about the split peas because typically people would say about any seed, throw out damaged seeds…the egg trays seem to be a good start but are super shallow and need transferred after a couple weeks. This was my first year using them, I’m a total newby at this and am in experimental mode, lol! The toilet paper rolls did great for my brassicas! I did have to transfer them from 1 set of toilet paper rolls to new ones because they got soggy and fell apart. The second set seems like I should be able to leave them in there when I transfer outside. Thanks for your advice! I’m really loving gardening and this forum, everyone is lovely and helpful!!

1 Like

Keep us posted on those pearl barley!

1 Like

This could be the 'gardening breakthrough of the year - I like it. thank heaven for those night-najjers. On several nights have got up and changed my garden plan. Talk about a ‘full-time’ occupation, eh?

4 Likes