Horsetail - how do you deal with it?

I inherited a garden in which the horsetail had clearly not been tackled for years. It is a hideous weed that takes a lot of discouraging. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to remedy this invader. I have painted it with glyphosate a couple of times but it still keeps coming back. Any advice would be appreciated.

I had this in one of my sheep fields where the drainage was very poor, the area was quite marshy and the soil very acidic. I started by putting in drainage ditches to dry the area, then, once it was safer to walk on it, I persistently cut it down with the brush cutter. Finally, an application of dolomite lime over the ‘‘stumps’’ and it is all but gone. It does return in the winter if it gets very wet, but slashing and lime brings it back in check. My sheep gobble it up once the cut stems have dried and it is supposed to be good for the compost, very rich in silicon.
I hope this helps.

1 Like

Glyphosate won’t kill horsetail, it just knocks back the top growth. Far better hoeing it off or pulling it out (don’t expect to ever get all the root though!). It’ll have the same effect, but cheaper and without the drawbacks of using herbicides. Eventually it will run out of steam, though it can take years.

1 Like

Many thanks, veggie. It really is a curse, isn’t it? When we first saw it, we thought it was some sort of pretty fern!!! I have haven’t got an open -ended number of years left (?) but I will take your helpful advice. Many thanks, bro’.

1 Like