Help! Keeping kids occupied in the garden

We have 2 toddlers to try and keep amused during lock-down, thankfully the lovely Spring weather here means we can get them outdoors plenty. We would love to share ideas of ways to keep younger members of the family entertained in the garden.

One of our first activities was creating a big nature collage. We have some outdoor chalk which we used to draw a big pie and then challenged our little boy to fill the pieces of pie. It was quite breezy so kept him busy and very active.

3 Likes

That looks fun and it has fresh air! Here is another one if you have any access to fairies! http://fairiehollow.com/garden-fairie-ready/ Painted-stone-and-twig-mushrooms-500x500

2 Likes

What great ideas, we have a fairy village, and I think they would love some new mushrooms. :fairy: :mushroom:

1 Like

Somehow I thought you might have a few at the end of your garden as Bonnie makes such a beautiful one…

1 Like

1 Like

You already have the perfect fairy…

1 Like

We made a flower press, it’s a bit rough at the moment, but eventually hubby plans to pyrography and/or paint it. The kids loved collecting flowers and then whizzing the bolts around!

2 Likes

What a fantastic idea and then on wet days they can make pictures out of them!

1 Like

We also laminated old dry leaves! I know not everyone has a laminater, but if you do it is a fun thing to try. You get a fab view of all the veins and it means the kids can play with them crumbling everywhere.

We wrote the date on one and added it to our memory jar. :fallen_leaf:

That’s a brilliant way of looking at leaves and teaching them about which tree is which, have you ever done leaf rubbing with crayons? When I was a Beaver helper I used to do that, great fun and you can get some pretty good results…

Here’s a fun project…

1 Like

It was Alex’s birthday on Saturday and as we couldn’t go anywhere we decided to have an adventure at home. We ‘found’ a pirate’s treasure map, donned our compass rings and set off in search.

The end of the treasure hunt had a small watertight container with a few silly bits and some edible treats. This was ‘buried’ in a trug in the greenhouse.

Alex (4yrs) declared that it was brilliant, the best thing ever, and he wants to do it every day!!

1 Like

Well done Heidi! That sounds fab! He will remember that too! Did he get to keep the map?

The map has gone in our memory jar, but I can print him a new one to play with :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve done these for our littles, I am going to print, cut and laminate them; then hide them around the garden on Sunday to keep them entertained.

2 Likes

Here are some more ideas from Ben with help from the lovely Isla…

2 Likes

I was inspired by that video to create a bug hotel with our little one. He absolutely loves using the hand drill. Me too actually. There’s something very wholesome about using un-powered tools. Here’s some pics, also you get to see a peek inside the stinky shed :slight_smile: (it’s clearing, slowly).

I think I’m going to need to resort to the glue gun to keep the bamboo from falling out though :cry:

3 Likes

That looks brill! Is that a first go? If so much better than mine was!!

1 Like

Thanks, yes first go! I used scraps of spare wood and arranged them in a bunch of ways until I found something that would work without me having to saw them up, because it’s too hot for that sort of nonsense :slight_smile:

Had to saw the bamboo up anyway though :sweat_smile: I found that cable-tying a bunch of bamboos together helped a lot with the sawing, didn’t take too long.

1 Like

Found this, just a painted plant pot and saucer but it could be fairy house? And there was a bee one too…d9914988061f24e8eefa2740bef4e230 0fa7ea7d09fd1375aadff1e588403a87

1 Like