Have just picked the first food for this year from the garden, what will your first crop be?

Have just picked the first food from the garden for this year. Rhubarb, I did try forcing it and it was quite successful but honestly the unforced stuff looked a lot stronger so we are having a crumble for tea made from both types, can’t wait :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Asparagus! :grin:

6 Likes

Nice asparagus. Envy you. Also envy the way you are able to grow carrots on string - that’s got to be a first!!

2 Likes

My four Rhubarb crowns are still in 10 inch pots. They are looking pretty healthy but I need to clear the plot for them to get them in the ground. Not top priority but we’ll get there. By next year we’ll be having those crumbles we drool over. Oh!! Rhubarb crumble!!
Hard to beat. Stop it, SusieH, I’m drooling already! Eastertide wishes

2 Likes

Just about everything I’ve been picking has been overwintered since last year - leeks, corn salad, claytonia, chard, and a few leftover baby beets. I did grab a few leaves from this year’s greenhouse-started rocket (arugula), but only because I let them dry out a bit too much and one plant had started to bolt already! They’ve since been transplanted outdoors, so hopefully it’s not too late for the rest of them.

4 Likes

Overwintered kale, some baby kale, arugula and mizuna mustard from this season, and microgreens!

2 Likes

Not the first for the year but maybe the last of the summer fruit! Have not picked it yet but will tomorrow

Red Dragon Fruit

3 Likes

That sounds lovely, was it all used in a salad?

1 Like

Simply WOW! That is amazing! Where are you from and how do you grow it?

1 Like

It was! After a winter of eating store bought, the incomparable taste of homegrown greens made my taste buds sing! :seedling::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

It’s a rare cross between a carrot and a string bean! :wink:

2 Likes

I am in Bundaberg, Queensland, Australia

When I moved into this rental there was one growing over the shed but all the fruit was on the roof and only the wildlife could eat it so I cut off some stems and popped them in a pot.

I Have 4 in pots that are all fruiting well.

I slice them up and put lemon on them and eat them.

I managed to get some seeds from an old one I missed and the possum got into it.

1 Like

Love the response. What we all need this difficult year are good crops and an even more so, a resilient sense of humour - all the best Voiced Joy and keep smiling.

1 Like

Nothing from outside yet, but we do have several kinds of lettuce growing in pots on every windowsill that gets sun. By the time we cut as much as we can from four pots closest to the kitchen, we swap them out and let them regrow.

3 Likes

My real crops are still too little, including the rhubarb, and I am still hoping my asparagus actually comes up. But I had borage seedlings sprouting from last year so I pulled a bunch and we ate them in salad. Correction: I ate them. My husband was not too excited to try. But really, they were good—very little ones, before the leaves get all scratchy.

3 Likes

The first veg we ate was carry-over from last season, like kale, kale raab, beet greens, parsnips, carrots, leeks & bunch onions. The first things we’ve eaten that were planted during this season were spinach, mustard greens, lettuce, arugula, pak choi, radishes, cilantro, Kohlrabi greens & radish greens.

2 Likes

I like the young borage leaves in salad too. Unfortunately, my chickens like them even more. They nearly decimated the plants. Luckily, borage can take a beating and still thrive.

2 Likes

I tried mizuna for the first time this year. Love it!

2 Likes

Borage is brilliant for chickens, really nutritious and they really like it too…

1 Like

I have enjoyed asparagus and rhubarb here. My garden is finally all planted but I’m having trouble with a bunny eating my tender pepper plants! Also, I’m having trouble getting my lettuce seeds to germinate.

1 Like