Growing herbs in water, a fun project to do with the kids and another free crop!

Many herbs that we usually buy at the supermarket can be regrown from just a side cutting in water. This is brilliant to show children how roots develop and you can build up a nice little supply too of Free herbs. I have done this loads over the years and the ones that work best for me are all the varieties of mint, basil, thyme, lavender and lemon balm, you can do it with sage too but it takes more time.

2 Likes

What a great easy way to propagate herbs. I always struggle to get a good crop of basil so I’ll try this to see if it helps.

Red basil, have done it with green too, basil is funny it is very hit and miss I think that you need really fresh seed to do well with it, it is about the only one I buy in each year and don’t save…

1 Like

That looks great. I find it seems to need a lot of sun and heat to grow strongly. I grow it in the greenhouse but it often looks a bit sorry for itself. But maybe that’s because I neglect it in favour of more glamorous crops like tomatoes and chillies :smiley:

1 Like

Will this work with parsley? I have one small plant and no seed to start more!

To be completely honest I have never tried it, but celery regrows itself in water and carrot tops create new seeds and so I think it would. The ones that I found harder were the perennials that I did, rosemary took a long time and so did sage, but it’s a brilliant way to propagate herbs and apparently the lovely annual coleus with the gorgeous leaves can be done this way too. One of the guys on facebook had made over 100 plants to give away this way!

2 Likes