Good old Samuel Coleridge

Water , water everywhere , / Nor any drop to drink’ (The Ancient Mariner)
In the case of UK Midlands growers, that’s what it feels like. Many are starting to get some 'decent’ rainfall but parts of the Trent Valley in the UK are tearing their hair out. One YouTube gardener in the NE of England was saying - ‘if I hadn’t had running water on my allotment, I wouldn’t have had any crops at all by now’.
We’ve had a few showers this week but nothing really to really change the game.
How are YOU all doing?

(No, I’m not literary snob - I had to suffer that poem amongst others at school and it sticks in my mind.
The opium-smoking leisured class rhymers of the past were somehow regarded as ‘classic’ in my blinkered schooldays - I don’t know why.
Roger McGough et al make more sense, touch reality and offer some meaningful poetry.
One always takes a risk when one is heretical!)

2 Likes

Here in Eastern Pennsylvania, we had a dry spell that lasted a couple of weeks, but we had a downpour on Wednesday afternoon and some rain last night. The quick Wednesday storm was great for watering the garden, however we didn’t have power for a day and half after that. Can’t complain too much though because the tomato plants and peas are looking lush!

Also just found out the rain barrel we got for free has a crack in it, so I’ll have to find another somewhere. c’e la vie!

We’ve had a little rain here in Wales, but not enough to make really good puddles for the kids to play in. Today it’s grey and blowing a hooley, but still not a lot of water.

1 Like

I’m feeling guilty but we have had about 4 days of heavy on and off April Showers type rain now, it has done for the roses and peonies but the veg and fruit trees look markedly greener. This is the first year in 10 years without an allotment and like the quote, I think this year without water on an allotment we would have had bare soil and frizzled crops too…

1 Like

6th June
Eureka! No need to feel guilty
At last we’ve had some decent rainfall! Since early am we’ve had a series of prolonged heavy showers in our part of the Trent Valley. They’ve got to have done a lot of good and more are predicted. Oh me of little faith! It Murphy’s Law. I had topped up one of my water butt so high that it is now overflowing! I’ve got an overflow pipe and so I’ve arranged a plastic dustbin to catch the surplus. Waste not, want not and all that.
Hope others are getting their share in the UK and further afield.

2 Likes

Excellent! Really pleased for you, nothing like the real stuff, it never ceases to amaze me how things can green up agains so fast and how fast things grow with proper rain re watering! My sickly looking squash now look like the real thing again!

1 Like

No rain in Wales!?! Heresy! Seems like the impossible after my holidays in that beautiful country when I was working in the 'Pool. I hope you get your share soon as the finest, sweetest new potatoes I’ve ever tasted in my life were from a farm stall in that nation, somewhere not far from Trawsfynydd - or was it Bala?..
And they need water!
Hoping, Heidi, that things balance out for you and your neighbours soon. Those spuds were too good to eat with anything other than butter. May water come your way - and soon!

1 Like

The water has certainly come our way now, and the garden is most grateful for it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here in the Pacific Northwest US we have nothing but rain. It’s getting pretty old…I wish there was a way to ship it to those who need it! Here’s hoping the summer is actually summer-y and not just more rain.

1 Like

Bless you. We are at last getting what we prayed for. Now in the UK we are wondering whether it will ever stop!
That’s why the UK can never relax into a ‘climate’ - we just have WEATHER!
Greetings across the ‘pond and beyond’.

Update (16/6)- We’ve now had 2inches of rain in the last 7-10 days.
Further update (20/6) 4" of rain! - in total so far as per the rain gauge.

1 Like