Creating New Vegetable Beds Fast

Thought that this was a great article for anyone wanting to supplement their garden quickly…

1 Like

Cardboard or thick layers of newspaper laid straight onto soil (even weedy soil) or lawn and topped with six inches of compost is my top instant bed technique. A simple frame around it keeps it all contained, and best of all - no weeding required!

3 Likes

I agree, a perfect solution BUT…six inches of branded compost can cost the earth if the beds are extensive. I used the best bargain locally - Verve from B&Q at about £8 for120ltr on my raised beds and - it went nowhere (less than 2 inches!) on two beds of 23x4 - costing me £100+. And compost is now like hen’s teeth! Hopefully, not for long.
It’s almost as if no-dig, by far the best way forward, is ‘suspended’ for a while. Sadly, I’ve got to dig.

2 Likes

Yes I do no dig too, I’ve been lucky with leaf mould this year so that might offset some of it but as you say branded compost costs a fortune. There has been a good recommendation on here for compost from Lidl. Not sure if they deliver but it might be cheaper than B and Q and it is really helpful to get a proper recommendation from someone who’s said it is good.

3 Likes

Agree - the best solution is to make it yourself if at all possible! A mix of compost, leaf mold and well-rotted manure (from a trusted source that doesn’t use persistent herbicides) makes a good growing medium for a raised bed.

Alternatively, shop around for bulk sellers of compost (much cheaper than individual bags!) or see if you have a municipal composting facility that sells at a reduced rate or even for free.

1 Like