Compost vs manure

I live on a small property (around 30 acres) in Tasmania. My problem is a lack of compost! We don’t mow the grass (cattle and sheep eat it down), our food scraps tend to go to the chickens, and all of our trees are Australian natives which don’t shed their leaves. On the upside, I have virtually unlimited supplies of manure.

I have two questions, 1) can somebody define “well rotted” manure for me please? and 2) can I use manure in place of compost, or do they have different functions?

As a novice gardener I would be immensely grateful for any and all advice.

1 Like

Hello Elaine, I’m in a similar situation to you, 75 acres in central France. No compost either with the pigs, chickens and ducks getting in first. Even the house cow got into the act and ate all of the pumpkin and courgette vines, leaving the pumpkins sitting on the ground. She nibbled one but it was not to her taste, so left the rest alone.
Because our winters can be extremely cold and wet, I bring all of my sheep inside from December until April. At the end of this I have large quantities of manure and I use a product which works like a compost activator and starts the decomposition process in situ. This creates warmth in the shed as well, very useful when I’m sitting on the straw helping a ewe to lamb.
I have very wonderful neighbours (who raise Limousin cows) and have the machinery and skill to clean out the shed in a couple of hours during autumn and an enormous pile of manure and straw goes into a field to mature until the following spring, when the same neighbours spread it onto my pastures.
I keep a couple of cubic metres back to use on my garden from the final load, which makes it the first layer to be laid in the shed and about 15 months old when I start to use it.
There is the odd bit of straw still visible, but it is mostly a very dark, moist, clumpy mass. I’m no dig, so it goes on as mulch and has been worked in by the wildlife (beetles, worms and chickens) within a couple of months.
I do use fresh donkey poo on the rhubarb and fresh cow pats around the raspberry canes without ill effect.
I hope this helps you, I really recommend using the compost activator on your manure as it is produced, it speeds the rotting process up and reduces the amount of space you need to keep it in.
Good luck, as you head into your summer, keep us Northern Hemisphere gardeners motivated through our grey, bleak days with tales of your patch!