Compact pollinator-friendly flowers

Hello All, it’s a privilege to be a part of this global community. I pretty much learned to garden by using GrowVeg planner, articles, and videos- thank you!

I am looking for suggestions for compact flowers that attract pollinators. I have a tiny 3.5’x7.5’ community garden plot that I plant to the brim with veggies, but want to squeeze in a couple of pollinator-friendly flowers. So far, thinking nasturtium, calendula, may be marigold. Any advice on this?

Thank you in advance for all your shared wisdom and experience!

1 Like

zinnias! they come in all sizes, and butterflies love them. they are the epitome of flowers to me.

3 Likes

One of my VERY favorites is the Heliotrope. You can get a dwarf variety and the little bunches of tiny purple flowers are SO sweet-smelling! They are a sure attractor for pollinators! If you can’t find a dwarf variety of heliotrope, then Sweet Alyssum is another good choice! They are low growing and come in white and purple colors… and they bloom all summer long! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello. Calendulas are great, I have them in my veg garden and they flower for about 10 months of the year, starting in February when the early insects are about.
If you are limited for space, maybe consider perennial herbs such as thyme, oregano and rosemary. These can all be kept clipped small and provide for you as well as the pollinators and predators.
Or maybe you can place posts at the corners of your veg beds and have brackets for hanging baskets for borage and chamomile.
Try to have a variety of flower shapes, open faced, like daisies, or tubular, like sage, as different insects have different ways of collecting the nectar.
I believe that it’s important to have a garden that is beautiful as well as productive, like the original concept of a cottage garden, cabbages and cosmos side by side with leeks and lavender.

3 Likes

Thank you, I really appreciate this!

Got some alyssum, calendula, marigolds, and small zinnias. thank you so much!

2 Likes

Such wonderful advice! :sparkling_heart: I agree … I need a garden that is beautiful and productive, too! I have ordered several types of flower seeds to attract honeybees bumblebees and butterflies There are some flowers that I have not grown before, so I am excited! :smiley:

2 Likes

Marigolds are good, they flower for ages and take up very little space. Nasturtiums do sprawl however, so make sure you have enough space for them to trail. I think someone else already mentioned herbs, but thyme is very compact and is happy in very dry soil so it’s handy for putting in a pot and ignoring - you can then move the pot around to wherever you want it to be.

3 Likes

Oh, yes! The humble marigold! I forgot about them! Perfect idea! :+1:t2:

1 Like