Anyone seen anything unusual in their garden that they wouldn't have usually noticed?

I go out most days round our little patch just to take photos for the big bug hunt of the pests and beneficials that come to visit us. I love the insects and find them fascinating and all their interactions. But although I have come across many discarded ladybug larval cases before I have never seen this, it is a ladybug emerging from the case and it has no spots! Apparently they get them a while later, amazing, something I would never have spotted without lockdown…

3 Likes

:open_mouth:

Wow, that’s really cool!

I found out that they get their spots a few days later…I have seen lots of the little larval coatings but never found such a newbie before…

3 Likes

That’s an amazing ‘find’, Susie. Glad that you captured it. Saw my first ladybird today but don’t expect a great influx of the as - SO FAR - I’ve seen no evidence of white, green or black fly. Let’s hope that persists! Not done the bug hunt this year as I’ve been too preoccupied with repairing the poor show of my earlier seedlings in many instances. A good piccie. Well done.

1 Like

I saw this butterfly and haven’t seen one like it before. Not my forté I’m afraid and I haven’t got the faintest idea what variety it is. But it was beautiful.

2 Likes

It is beautiful, it is a peacock and a lovely one, they are one of the few that hibernated through the winter and at this stage they can look a bit tatty, that one is perfect, I wonder if it is one of this years newly hatched caterpillars…

1 Like

A peacock? I shall use that as a jumping off point for research on the interweb. Thank you. My knowledge of butterflies and moths ends at Cabbage Whites. Thanks again.

1 Like

At the end of the day the Cabbage Whites are the most important to us gardeners as those are the little beasts that are going to decimate our brassicas!

2 Likes

Are you actually inviting them and welcoming them to beggar up your efforts to provide healthy and nutritious food for your table and your family and beyond?
I’m confused.
Funny stuff in the garden -
I found some unexpected fungi - I’ll try to upload picture.

No but knowing what they are is important as you can keep them out, knowing the other ones is nice and interesting but because the cabbage whites are pests it is more important to know those, know your enemies etc…

1 Like

Just rogue spuds turning up where they are not expected!

2 Likes

Hey a spud is a spud don’t knock it! I was actually wondering if squirrels move them? I have just found one in a pot of lavender! I don’t drink that much and I certainly don’t think I’d have put one there, the only thing I can think of is it might have been as you say a rogue one in the compost heap that got transferred…

1 Like

I found a newt in my strawberry patch yesterday. I was moving them into a new area. I’ve never seen one in my garden before and the only pond I have is a large plant pot pond.

2 Likes

That must be so exciting, I love those, and brilliant to think it is managing with so little water…Have just made a tiny pond in a sink and have my fingers crossed :smiley:

A newt!?!
Haven’t seen one those since my teen days. Cherish it and I hope you get breeding pair. Think ‘water’ and give them a chance to move in.
I envy you.